We specialize in the assessment and treatment of pediatric feeding disorders including:
· Food aversion - intolerance to touch, taste and smell of food
· Failure-to-thrive - inability to gain / maintain weight
· Oral motor weakness - difficulty chewing, managing food in mouth and swallowing
· Sensory aversion - intolerance to touch in and around mouth, gagging
· Feeding problems related to prematurity
Many pediatric feeding issues are a result of negative feeding experiences occurring in early infancy. The most crucial component to improving eating skills is to establish trust and build confidence in the child and to allow the child to experience pleasurable interaction with food. Feeding therapy will always involve play-based interaction and never involve force-feeding or tricking children into eating. Family member participation is crucial to the success of therapy and emphasis will be placed on family/ parent education.